Blue badge parking scheme

Blue Badges help people with disabilities or health conditions park closer to their destination. You can apply for a badge for yourself, on behalf of somebody else or an organisation that transports people that need a Blue Badge.

National Autistic Society

National Autistic Society are the UK's leading charity for people on the autism spectrum and their families.

Since 1962, they have been providing support, guidance and advice, as well as campaigning for improved rights, services and opportunities to help create a society that works for autistic people.

​​​​​​Some autistic people may find the skill of driving extremely difficult, whilst others will be highly competent. Being autistic should not in itself be a barrier to holding a licence.

Motability Scheme

If you receive either -

  • the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP
  • War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement

It is possible to use it to buy or lease a car that has been specially adapted for your use through the Motability Scheme.

If you do not qualify for this scheme you can make your own arrangements to have a car adapted by contacting a local car dealer who does Motability work.

Disability Driving Instructors

The Association of Disability Driving Instructors, helping people with physical disabilities, special educational needs and those with hearing difficulties.

They also support the specialist driving instructors who will be teaching these people to drive for the first time and helping others to return to or continue driving after accident or illness.

Regional Driving Assessment Centre

Disabled drivers can get practical advice about driving, an assessment of their capabilities, and advice about car adaptations and/or choice of car from Driving Mobility.

They offer professional, high quality information, advice and assessment to individuals who are recovering from an accident or injury or who have a medical condition which may affect their ability to drive or access a motor vehicle.

Advice for non drivers

The RDAC are offering free advice and support to explore what travel options are available to you in your local area and beyond.

They can offer -

  • advice on driving
  • advice on accessing public transport
  • information on accessible transport
  • help to improve your confidence to travel

Medical Conditions, Disabilities and Driving

The GOV website has information about medical conditions, disabilities and driving.

Vehicle Tax Exemption and reduction

The GOV website has information on applying for exemption or reduction for vehicle tax if you get certain benefits.